You should know that even people serving time in a prison or jail after being convicted have certain civil rights—most importantly, the right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment. Additional rights include:
- freedom of expression and communication;
- freedom of religion;
- freedom from arbitrary punishments and cruel and unusual punishments;
- freedom from discrimination on the basis of race, religion, national origin or gender;
- treatment for certain medical conditions;
- a comfortable temperature with sufficient ventilation and light; and
- provisions for adequate nutrition and personal hygiene.
Detainees held in jail pending trial also have civil rights, including the right not to be punished at all. Prisoners are among some of our nation’s most vulnerable. Too often, men and women in custody have their rights violated by prison staff, or private corporations operating in jails and prisons.
Have you or a loved one been mistreated in prison or jail?
At Excolo Law, we are committed to helping prisoners and detainees challenge the violations of their constitutional rights through individual cases and class actions. When we take a case, it’s because we believe that a serious constitutional violation has occurred and we are committed to trying to achieve justice for our client. Even though many cases eventually reach settlement, we approach each case with an eye toward getting it into a courtroom.
Before you file a lawsuit for prisoner abuse, steps must be taken to exhaust all administrative remedies at the detention facility. We will lead you through these procedures to ensure that everything is done properly leading up to filing your lawsuit.
Do you know an inmate experiencing any of these PRISON DIETARY ISSUES?
- Their medically required or otherwise specific dietary requirements are being denied by the DOC?
- Their religious dietary practices are being denied by the DOC?
- They have suffered from serious health issues related to an inadequate diet?
Do you know an inmate experiencing any of these issues with Jpay?
- Unable to access stored music?
- Loss of stored music on a new or replacement device?
- Unable to send or access emails or attachments?
- Charged a fee to attach a photo to an email but the photo isn’t delivered?
- Battery charging or swelling issues?
- Failure to honor warranty?